Friday, December 22, 2006

I like New TV and think it is the most secular and least biased news station in Lebanon. Its evening news cast is my favorite, and I never miss it, even when on the road--thanks to my Slingbox--which allows me access to my home TV and satellites from my computer and from my super duper cell-phone as of late. The station also is mixed in the sectarian composition of the staff. And I like the people I met there. And I urge you to sign the petition here which calls on the Lebanese government to release New TVs' investigative reporter, Firas Hatum (and his two comrades), who was apprehended while investigating the case of Hariri-paid "witness" Muhammad Zuhayr As-Siddiq. If the arresting government is not pro-US, this arrest would be all over the news, and the Committee to Protect Journalists (which sometimes operate as an arm of the US Department of State--see their files on Lebanon, how biased they are) which issues daily tears in memory of Jubran Tuwayni would have said a word. One word. But today in their evening news cast, they had some nice words about the hateful anti-Semite, David Irving (you may search this site using google feature below for my past posts on him), and said good things about "revisionism". Unbecoming. Most unbecoming.