Saturday, January 29, 2011

Where are you, O Jamal Mubarak : the party has just started

""I asked Mubarak whether he felt ready to serve as Egypt’s President. He smiled. “I’m not going to answer that question the way you’d like me to,” he said. “What I will tell you is that, in the last nine years, my social and political exposure has given me a better understanding of the issues, of the problems that average citizens feel.”   "Gamal and his older brother, Alaa, were raised in tightly guarded, luxurious residences in Heliopolis, a neighborhood favored by top officials and military officers, and were driven around Cairo in limousines. “Gamal spent his life in palaces,” Osama al-Ghazali Harb, who is the editor of a foreign-policy journal in Cairo and an acquaintance of the Mubarak family’s, said. “He never walked the streets, he never took a taxi, he had no contact with Egyptian culture. He lived as a prince, surrounded by generals and millionaires.”" (thanks Redouane)